Since its publication in 1988, this has been one of the leading methodology textbooks in South African tertiary education. It provides an introduction to the fundamental concept of social science research, and complements books on specific research methods and techniques.
This title is also available in Afrikaans, Basiese Begrippe.
1. What is social sciences research?
2. Research design: Towards problems formulation
3. Research design: Conceptualization and operationalization
4. Research design: Data collection
5. Research design: Analysis and interpretation
6. Central constructs in the research process:
- Conceptual frameworks
7. Perspectives on qualitative and quantitative research
- The spectrum of the social sciences
- Science and research
8. Guidelines for writing a research proposal
- How to write a research proposal
- Types of research proposals
- Form and content of research proposals
9. Guidelines for writing research reports
- Theoretical guidelines
- Metatheoretical guidelines
- Methodological guidelines
- Technical guidelines
Appendix 1: M Ferreira - A sociological analysis of medical encounters of aged persons at an outpatient centre: A qualitative approach
Appendix 2: D Joubert - A typology of value orientations
Appendix 3: KF Mauer and AC Lawrence - Human factors in stope productivity - A field experiment